Brooklyn-based chef and Win Son alum, Calvin Eng, shared one of his fiery, signature Cantonese dishes with us: black pepper beef noodles. Set to open later this year, he's taking the leap and firing up Cantonese cuisine with his own venture, Bonnie's. Find his full collection on our app under the category: Cantonese x Calvin Eng.
Black Pepper Beef Noodles
- ½ pound Flank steak
- 1 Tbsp Soy sauce or oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp Corn starch
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp White or black pepper
- 2 Tsp Neutral cooking oil
- 2 Tsp Shaoxing wine
Black Pepper Sauce
- 1 Onion, ½ fine dice, ½ large dice
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp Dark soy sauce
- 1 ½ Tbsp Black pepper, toasted, course ground
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp MSG
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 ½ Tbsp Corn starch
- 3 Tbsp Water
- ½ HK Egg Noodles
- 2 Qts Canola Oil
- 1 Bell Pepper
- Freeze steak for 30 minutes and slice thinly. Massage all of the marinade ingredients into the sliced steak and marinade for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Cook half of the onion and all of the garlic over medium heat with a little oil. Add in the dark soy sauce, toasted ground black pepper, sugar, MSG, and water. Bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with 3 tbsp of cold water to create a slurry.
- When the liquid in the pan comes to a boil, pour the slurry around the edge and allow it to thicken while it comes back to a boil. Set aside until ready to use.
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Break the noodles apart so that nothing is clumped together and add to the boiling water (about 1 minute). Strain under cold water and pat dry with towels.
- In another pan, gently fry the dried noodles in small batches until crispy (about 1 minute). Drain on a wire rack or paper towels and set aside.
- Dice the bell pepper and remainder of the onion into medium-sized pieces. Heat up a saute pan or cast iron and add 2 tbsp of oil until smoking. Add in the onion and pepper and slightly char.
- Remove from the pan and add in the velveted beef. Cook until it has picked up some color. Add the onions and peppers back in and toss. Add in all of the black pepper sauce until bubbling.
- Pour over the bed of crispy egg noodles and serve!